Loading...
 

MHCA Area Director's meeting minutes

Minutes of the monthly Midvale Heights Community Association Area Director's meeting.

August 2013 Area Directors' Meeting Minutes

Tom Jarvis Thursday 29 of August, 2013
Midvale Heights Community Association
August 27, 2013 Board Meeting


Bd. Members Present: C. Kreimendahl, G. Poulson, J. Thoreson, D. Lamb, C Bunge, T. Jarvis, R. Rotter, F. Stautz, E. Rogers, J. Chiphault, G. Fischer, M.J. Armstrong, J. Butler, J. Lager, K. Reuter-Krohn.

  1. Meeting called to order by J. Thoreson at 6:48 pm.

  2. Minutes approved.

  3. R. Rotter reviewed treasurer’s statement and answered questions. Rotter noted a balance of nearly $33,000.

  4. Discussion of the annual meeting set for the 4th Tuesday of October. Several names were brought up for a speaker, including Sarah Day, Rob Starbuck/Joy Cardin and Tony Galli. G. Poulson volunteered to contact Sarah Day# D. Lamb talked about the Emerging Neighborhood Grants from the City. It was determined that with reduced funding the grants would be targeted for neighborhoods with significant issues and Midvale Heights would not fall into that category.

  5. T. Jarvis passed out sample of the street directory. The printed version of the neighborhood directory would not contain this information. The resulting size of the directory would be half as long as the previous version. We have 458 members at this point. The directory and membership card will be mailed by early September.

  6. E. Rogers attended the Parks Commission and requested planting more trees for shading and adding an amenity to an underutilized Segoe Park. Rogers reported that the best we could hope for is one tree and that was iffy. There is a City grant program for new community gardens. Rogers believed that Segoe Park met most of the criteria. What was needed was surrounding neighbor support and a steering committee. A survey of nearby neighbors was discussed as a next step.

  7. M.J. Armstrong stated that she is concerned about turning options and difficulties at the Odana and Segoe intersection. So much traffic is coming through that area from Odana and Whitney Way. Others expressed similar concerns and speculation that the new apartment complex might add to the problem. Some members believed that an updated traffic study should be conducted by the City after the apartments are open. C. Kreimendahl would contact Alder Cheeks .

  8. Regarding the Bison Prairie bike rest area, Arthur Ross from the city has not responded to recent calls.

  9. Meeting adjourned @ 7:50 pm.


Minutes by Gary Poulson, Secretary

June 2013 Area Directors' Meeting Minutes

Tom Jarvis Saturday 29 of June, 2013
Midvale Heights Community Association
Board of Directors Meeting
Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Minutes


Board members present: J. Thoreson (presiding), D. Lamb, C. Bunge, T. Jarvis, F. Stautz, R. Rotter, E. Rogers, J. Chipault

Also present: Cathy Rotter, Paul Mendenwaldt

  1. Call to order: J. Thoreson called the meeting to order at 6:45 p.m.

  2. Minutes: The minutes of the May 28, 2013 meeting were approved, with correction of the spelling of J. Chipault’s name.

  3. Treasurer’s report: R. Rotter distributed a report, showing cash and bank account balance of $31,156.62.

  4. Membership: Members of the membership committee reported that a meeting was scheduled for July 2 to finalize plans, including a post-card mailing to residents who haven’t joined. So far, 335 members had signed up. There was an information table at the picnic. Note: At the mention of the picnic, members pointed out that the picnic went well, with some 200 people in attendance.

  5. Bison Prairie/bike path area: D. Lamb reported that several members had met with Arthur Ross for an overview of the amenities to be added at the area. Their location will be south of the bike path, next to Midvale Avenue. Plans do not include a water fountain or spigot to permit watering the plantings in the area. Board members agreed with D. Lamb’s statement that the Association should lobby with alders and others for water access. J. Thoreson and D. Lamb agreed to pursue the matter with alders.

  6. Green Team: J. Thoreson reported that Janice Gary had changed her schedule for working at the Bison Prairie Gateway area to 4:00-7:00 Mondays and 7:00-10:00 Fridays. He also reported that Nan Lager would be meeting with City employees soon concerning the Tokay plantings.

  7. Annual Meeting: Board members agreed that the Annual Meeting should be scheduled for October 22 and that there should be an announcement in the newsletter. There was some discussion of format and program ideas.

  8. Other matters: R. Rotter indicated that he had picked up the broken neighborhood sign and delivered it to the sign company. He agreed to check on getting it repaired and re-installed. He also reported that he was working on replacing the Little Free Library across from Piper Park that was vandalized. J. Thoreson agreed to pursue the matter of MHCA’s offering to assist the Westmorland neighborhood association with their July 4th events. E. Rogers pointed out that Segoe Park seems to be underused, including the playground equipment. Board members expressed various ideas for improving the park. J. Thoreson and E. Rogers agreed to pursue the issue.

  9. Adjournment: Motion was made, seconded, and passed to adjourn the meeting at 7:50.

Charles Bunge, acting secretary

May 2013 Area Directors' Meeting Minutes

Tom Jarvis Thursday 20 of June, 2013
Midvale Heights Community Association
Board of Directors Meeting
Tuesday, May 28, 2013


Bd. Members Present: C. Kreimendahl, G. Poulson, J. Thoreson, D. Lamb, P. Haskew, T. Jarvis, R. Rotter, F. Stautz, E. Rogers, J. Chiphault, G. Fischer, J. Butler, K. Reuter-Krohn.
Also Present: Ald. M. Cheeks, C. Rotter

  1. Meeting called to order by J. Thoreson at 6:50 pm.

  2. Minutes approved with editorial corrections and embellishments.
  3. R. Rotter reviewed treasurer’s statement and answered questions.

  4. Membership report P. Haskew deferred to T. Jarvis regarding online registrations. Jarvis reported that 22 folks attempted membership registration online with varying degrees of success. Rotter stated that @ 200 completed forms were mailed in. Membership committee should meet soon. It was suggested to follow up with a postcard to those not returning the membership form. Haskew reported that some new businesses are joining the discount program. Hy-Vee market restaurant is considering this program.

  5. Thoreson reported that the picnic planning is pretty much set. Planning on 300 meals with Hy-Vee catering the meat part of the event. Invites will be sent to the Mayor, State Representative, Alder, and County Supervisor. G. Poulson said he would make some of those contacts including the local fire house. The event will be 6/20 starting at 6 pm.

  6. Thoreson lead a discussion about the website. Should we continue to have one when so few people visit the site? Jarvis reviewed the history of the website including the costs. Those costs have been covered by Jarvis since hosting it had some advantages to him. We may need to consider how much band-width we need and use. Jarvis does not have a current problem hosting the site, but there is no guarantee that his family would live in the neighborhood. Several expressions of support and appreciation for Jarvis taking on this role. Also concern expressed that Jarvis shouldn’t have to bear the cost of MHCA’s web needs current and future. A motion was made and adopted expenses related to having a MHCA web-site, up to $30 a month paid on a quarterly basis should be paid to the webmaster (Jarvis).

  7. Regarding the Bison Prairie bike rest area, Arthur Ross from the city could not attend tonight. A small group should meet to discuss future of project. Names suggested included Janice Gary, Laura Brown and from the Board E. Rogers, D. Lamb and C. Kreimendahl.

  8. Lamb reminded us that we do not meet in July and that we should start to think about a speaker for our annual meeting. Rotter picked up damaged neighborhood sign and dropped off at Vital Signs. J. Chiphault wondered if there were any neighborhood sites for Madison Makes Music day on 6/21. Rotter stated that he would investigate replacing the Little Library box that was at Piper Park. Haskew wondered if should make an effort to sign up as new members those folks who would be moving in to the apartments at Segoe and Odana.

  9. Meeting adjourned @ 7:50 pm.

Minutes by Gary Poulson, Secretary

April 2013 Area Directors' Meeting Minutes

Tom Jarvis Tuesday 28 of May, 2013
Midvale Heights Community Association
Board of Directors Meeting
Tuesday April 23 2013


Present: G. Poulson, J.Thoreson, P. Haskew, C. Bunge, T. Jarvis, R. Rotter, F. Stautz, E. Rogers, J. Chipault, J. Lager, K. Reuter-Krohn
Also Present: Jean Sweet, Jeff Sweet, Janice Gary, Nan Lager, Cathy Rotter, Jim Baumann, Si Widstrand, Rosie Meinholz, Alder Maurice Cheeks, Prof. James Steiner, Misc. unidentified neighbors and UW students.
  1. Call to order at 6:45 pm.

  2. Presentation made by Professor Steiner and 4 UW students regarding the Tokay medians and the existing plantings. The current state of the medians described: empty areas, unremarkable entrances, distressed vegetation and underutilized planting opportunities. Students presented possible improvements that would include lower maintenance plantings that would be multi-seasonal and urban tolerant. All 10 blocks were reviewed. The class has consulted with the City of Madison. The potential cost would be @ $100,000. There are possible grants from the City and the DNR.

  3. Presentation made by Jim Baumann and Si Widstrand regarding a Odana Hills Park volunteer restoration and management project. The purpose of the project thin out wooded areas of invasive species and less desirable trees. The work would be done by volunteers and would be done over a long period of time. Over time the work would improve the tree canopy, clean up storm damage and promote the oak trees present. They are interested in neighborhood involvement. Motion was made to send a letter of support to the Parks Department.

  4. Jeff and Jean Sweet would like to plant a tree in honor of the late Charlie Sweet. The location would be at the Bison Prairie where Charlie volunteered during its creation. The tree would be paid for by Charlie’s nephew and niece. They would like to also place a marker at the tree site.

  5. Janice Gary reported on the Bison Prairie. The interpreter sign has some cracks that should be repaired. The company that installed the sign would repair the sign for $250. The burn should occur soon but the wet weather has hampered that effort. We may have to settle for a partial burn. The blue grass has been invasive and we may need to resort to a pesticide to control.

  6. R. Rotter gave treasurer’s report and answered questions.

  7. Minutes were approved from the March meeting.

  8. Discussion about our damaged neighborhood signs. The Mineral Point signs may have been by tree trimmers that were working in the area. Rotter indicated he would fetch the pieces of the sign. Alder Cheeks would look into various aspects of the sign damage and replacement. Poulson mentioned the opportunity to reexamine where we place our signs in the neighborhood.

  9. Brief discussion about the membership newsletter and Haskew had information regarding promoting the 10% discount program.

  10. Meeting adjourned

Minutes by Gary Poulson, Secretary

March 2013 Area Directors' Meeting Minutes

Tom Jarvis Tuesday 26 of March, 2013
Midvale Heights Community Association
Board of Directors Meeting
March 26, 2013

Present: Chuck Kreimendahl, Gary Poulson, Jim Thoreson, Denise Lamb, Paul Haskew, Charles Bunge, Tom Jarvis, Ron Rotter, Floyd Stautz, Ed Rogers, Jenny Chipault, Jason Butler, Jonn Lager, Kay Reuter-Krohn
Also Present: Cathy Rotter, Nan Lager, Carl Haidar, Jeremy Gosch, Chris Pedretti, Maurice Cheeks

  1. Meeting was called to order at 6:45 pm.

  2. Hy Vee representatives Gosch and Haidar made a presentation concerning the opening of the new Hy Vee store at Westgate. The company is employee-owned and it is anticipated that 500 jobs will be generated at the Westgate location. After a description of the many amenities that this store will have in place, Gosch and Haidar responded to several questions. It is up to the manager of the store (Haidar) to respond to solicitations for local groups. The store will be open 24 hours and will feature a pharmacy with a drive-up lane. There will be a community room available for use. It is likely that our ward’s polling place will be located there. The anticipated opening of the store will be in May. Gosch had no information regarding possible plans for the rest of Westgate Mall.

  3. C. Pedretti from the City’s Parks Department spoke about the search for westside dog parks. A plan has been proposed for use of Odana School Park as a dog park location. Pedretti explained the dog park program and the permitting requirements. Several locations are under consideration and it is expected that more than one will be selected. The next step is to circulate a survey to the neighborhood. It will be available on-line and paper copies. Responding to a question, Pedretti said that the dog park would not be lighted. D. Lamb reminded board members that are recent neighborhood plan called for a dog park.

  4. C. Bunge suggested the board send a letter of support for the inclusion of Odana School Park as a dog park. Bunge moved and second by G. Poulson that: The Board of Midvale heights Community Association supports the concept of the City’s developing an off-leash dog park at Odana School Park as outlined at our March 26, 2013 meeting. The motion passed unanimously. [The adopted language was sent to Supt. Briski via email.]

  5. Minutes were approved.

  6. R. Rotter gave the treasurer’s report.

  7. Lamb provided the board with information on the upcoming block captain appreciation dinner. At this time only 20 people have responded. Lamb inquired of board member’s intentions. Most responded that they will attend. Some of the activities that night were described by Lamb and P. Haskew. It was noted that food carts have been showing up on Tuesdays near Midvale school. Food carts have been going to several neighborhoods in the city, starting last year. It would be nice our neighborhood would be on the schedule. Lamb would inquire about that possibility.

  8. J. Thoreson stated that the burn permits have been approved for Bison Prairie and the burn should take place in early spring. Thoreson also noted that Janice Gary needs help with the prairie this year.

  9. T. Jarvis reported on some website issues. We need to upgrade some of the software, especially if online registration is utilized. Rotter stated that we should reimburse Jarvis for his efforts in maintaining and upgrading our website.

  10. The meeting adjourned at approx. 8 pm.

Minutes by Gary Poulson, Secretary

February 2013 Area Directors' Meeting Minutes

Tom Jarvis Sunday 24 of March, 2013



Midvale Heights Community Association

Board Meeting

Tuesday, February 26, 2013


Minutes


Present: C Kreimendahl, G Poulson, J Thoreson, P Schell, D Lamb, P Haskew, T Jarvis, E Rogers, M J Armstrong
Also Present: C Rotter. N Lager

1. Call to order. J Thoreson called the meeting to order at 6:45 pm.

2. Minutes. The January minutes were approved.

3. Treasurer’s report. Cathy Rotter filling in for R Rotter indicated that not much has transpired since the last report. Funds for a burn permit were authorized. Also money for T-Ball is coming in.

4. Social event. D. Lamb reported on the block captain appreciation event. It will be held at Vintage Brew Pub on April 10, 2013. It will be buffet style with appetizers. Thought was to have some door prizes. Post cards will go out with a 4/3 RSVP deadline. Lamb also indicated that the membership newsletter will be presented to board next month. It should be a 4 pager that would go to all residents. T Jarvis said that a Paypal option will be added to the website.

5. Tokay median. Nan Lager met with a landscape architect professor and that the Tokay Blvd.
replanting will be a class project. Four students will create a design plan. This will be presented to the Board before implementation. There is a possibility for City dollars to help with the redesign/replanting effort.

6. Hyvee. J Thoreson has been contacted by Hyvee representatives regarding the proposed store and if there were any concerns by the neighborhood. Projected opening is sometime in May. The possibility of a tour will be explored.

7. Picnic. Jill Carlson asked if some money could be authorized to have the meat entrée prepared by an outside entity, possibly Hyvee. Picnic date is June 20th with June 27th as the rain date.

8. Food market. The City has approved the liquor license for The Market. Projected opening would be in mid-April. The owner is interested in what the neighborhood would like to be on the shelves.

9. Adjournment. Meeting adjourned at 7:30 pm.

Minutes by Gary Poulson, Secretary