Midvale Heights Community Association
Board of Directors Meeting
March 23, 2010
Present: J. Sweet, M. Silbernagel, D. Lamb (presiding), T. Jarvis, R. Rotter, F. Stautz, S. Schmidt, J. Gary, J. Lager, N. Lager, K. Reuter-Krohn
1. Proposed development at Segoe and Odana: Representatives for the development company were again in attendance to present site development plans for the corner of Segoe and Odana. Concepts of size, massing, mixed used (commercial use rather than retail) presented â€“critical site to develop as buffer to Hy-Vee at Westgate. Plans discussed including market rate apartments--60 apartments in 4-story building on the Segoe side of site next to current 2-story apartments. Commercial building will be at the corner with walk-way between the apartments and the commercial building. Plans to have the apartments ready to open in fall 2011 with efficiency, 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom apartments ranging in the $600 â€“ $1250 price range. Recommendations to keep the apartment building 2-3 stories and look into senior apartments. Neighbors on Odana voiced concern about the parking lot and size of the building in proximity to their homes. Developers would like to return to the April 27 meeting to continue to present their plans.
2. Minutes: The minutes of February 23 meeting were approved as distributed.
3. Treasurerâ€™s report: R. Rotter reported no changes to January treasurerâ€™s report.
4. Babysitting Co-op update: S. Schmitz reported that six families attended a Tuesday evening gathering at their home to meet other families with children. Monthly potlucks, the first Tuesday of the month were scheduled to get to know each other. Plan to proceed slowly.
5. Plans for June annual picnic: J. Gary and D. Lamb met with picnic coordinators to discuss plans for the June 24 annual picnic. They are recommending: that the board buys brats, hotdogs, soda, and everyone in attendance bring salads and desserts; ask the block captains to promote the picnic and try to increase attendance; an article will be in the May/June newsletter to promote the picnic plans and a flyer will be distributed to promote the garage sale and picnic with a request for RSVP. Also recommended that we promote with signage the week of the picnic. More discussion at the April meeting.
6. Green Team: N. Lager announced spring clean-up will be scheduled and proposed April 24th to support Earth Day ( 40th anniversary). Signs will be put up and will post on the web site. New project includes the clean up of trash from the 8 parks/playgrounds in the neighborhood. J. Sweet will keep track of who has volunteered for each park. J. Gary, J. Sweet and N. Lager will meet on Sunday, March 28 with T. Jarvis to update the website. The bison prairie clean-up will be scheduled after the Tokay clean-up. J. Gary announced that she has a volunteer to mow the prairie and she has also purchased native plants. There is an Earth Day celebration Sat. April 24th at Westmorland Park.
7. Apartment Association: D. Lamb will contact apartment ownersâ€™ association and invite to a future meeting.
8. Proposed development of Segoe and Odana: D. Lamb asked for advice on how often to meet with developers. Motion was made, seconded and passed to coordinate meeting with developers, neighborhood plan steering committee, interested board members and neighbors prior to board meeting.
9. Book donated by Library to MHCA: R. Rotter shared the book Poisonerâ€™s Handbook by Deborah Blum; he will read and bring to next meeting to share with others interested in reading. Also received an invitation with the book to a donor reception on Tues. April 13, 5:30 â€“ 7:30 p.m.
10. Adjournment: Motion made, seconded, and passed to adjourn the meeting at 8:35 p.m.
Kay Reuter-Krohn (acting secretary)