Loading...
 

MHCA Area Director's meeting minutes

April 2012 Area Directors' Meeting Minutes

cabunge Saturday 28 of April, 2012




Midvale Heights Community Association

Board of Directors Meeting

April 24, 2012


Minutes


Present: C. Kreimendahl, J. Thoreson (presiding), D. Lamb, C. Bunge, T. Jarvis, R. Rotter, J. Gary, F. Stautz, K. Reuter-Krohn

Also present: Cathy Rotter, Carousel Bayrd

1. Call to order: J. Thoreson called the meeting to order.

2. Minutes: The minutes of the Board meeting of March 27 were approved with one addition: C. Kreimendahl gave the Secretary a copy of a letter from the MHCA President to David Dryer, City Traffic Engineer, supporting the City’s proposal to light the Southwest Bike Path. The Secretary indicated that the minutes would show that a copy of this letter was attached to the Secretary’s copy of the minutes.

3. Treasurer’s report: R. Rotter distributed a treasurer’s report showing a cash and bank account balance of $21,067.41, along with other information on the Association’s finances

4. County Supervisor report: Carousel Bayrd made a brief report on County matters, including the fact that she had been elected Second Vice-chair of the County Board.

5. Alder report: Brian Solomon did not attend the meeting, and there was no alder report.

6. Newsletter: D. Lamb announced that the upcoming newsletter was the membership-drive issue that would contain the membership form and a plea to join the Association. Enough copies would be printed to allow distribution to all residences of the neighborhood. She suggested that Board members alert block captains that they would need to distribute newsletters to everyone on their blocks. Brief discussion of membership matters and newsletter distribution followed.

_7. Green Team: J. Gary reported that the clean-up day for the Tokay median plantings had gone well. Maintenance work on the Bison Prairie Gateway continued, including completion of a controlled burn and removal of garlic mustard plants, but more work remained. She had continued work on a “show and tell” garden of prairie flowers. R. Rotter volunteered to make a sign for the area that would encourage passersby to help maintain it. As part of the discussion of Green Team matters, J. Thoreson pointed out that the neighborhood entrance signs were in need of painting. He and R. Rotter agreed to get bids for painting them, starting with painters living in the neighborhood.

8. Bylaws amendment: C. Bunge distributed a proposal to amend the Association bylaws to make Article 1, Section 2 read: Dues. Dues for membership shall be established by the Board of Directors and shall be payable on a per-household basis. Motion made and seconded to adopt this amendment. Because a two-thirds vote of those present was required to amend the bylaws, the vote was by show of hands, and the motion passed 9-0.

9. SAIL presentation: J. Gary reported that the group, Support for Active Independent Lives (SAIL), a nonprofit organization for the support of senior citizens, had expressed willingness to make a presentation to MHCA members. Board members suggested that this would be a good topic for part of the program for the Annual Meeting in the fall.

10. University Research Park: C. Bunge reminded the Board that he was the neighborhood observer for the University Research Park Design Review Board. He reported that most of the parcels in the original park had been developed, and there was not much action by the Design Review Board to report. However, one upcoming development of interest to the neighborhood was a planned employee garden on the grounds of the UW Hospitals sports medicine facility on Tokay Avenue. The Design Review Board had approved plans for this garden, contingent on its being well maintained, so as not to be a neighborhood eyesore.

11. Other matters: T. Jarvis provided a tutorial to Board members on using the Association website, including posting content there. D. Lamb reported that she had learned that demolition of the building at Segoe and Odana was scheduled to start in May. J. Gary reported a contact from Alice Punwar regarding the disposition of materials that had accumulated during the preparation of the neighborhood history book. R. Rotter volunteered to store them with other Association materials that he was storing. For some work she is doing on a chronology of activity on the Bison Prairie Gateway, J. Gary asked how she could gain access to back issues of the Association newsletter. R. Rotter and D. Lamb offered to let her use issues that they had, and a Board member suggested that the Wisconsin Historical Society Library housed back issues of the newsletter.

12. Adjournment: Motion was made, seconded, and passed to adjourn the meeting at 8:30 p.m.

Charles Bunge, Secretary