Loading...
 

MHCA Area Director's meeting minutes

September 2006 Area Director's Meeting minutes

Tom Jarvis Wednesday 21 of May, 2008
Midvale Heights Community Association

Board of Directors Meeting
September 26, 2006
Minutes

Present: S. Sussman (presiding), G. Poulson, J. Sweet, M. Hoffman, M. Silbernagel, D. Lamb, C. Bunge, T. Jarvis, J. Sherwood, R. Rotter, D. Nason, J. Gary

Also attending: Carousel Bayrd, Don Severson, Brandon Casto, Judy Skog

1. Introductions: Those present introduced themselves, and S. Sussman announced that a quorum was present.

2. Minutes: The minutes of the June 27, 2006 meeting were approved as distributed.

3. Treasurer’s report: R. Rotter was distributed two reports, covering July and August, 2006, and September, 2006, showing a cash balance as of September 26 of $16,733.23.

4. City report: Cindy Thomas was unable to attend the meeting, and there was no city report.

5. County report: C. Bayrd gave a brief report on issues before the Dane County Board.

6. Midvale Plaza re-development and neighborhood plan: D. Lamb and B. Casto reported that the developer’s plans for Midvale Plaza were approved by the Madison City Council, with some details still to be worked out. The plans must be presented to the Madison Urban Design Commission one more time. They indicated that the process of these plans’ being developed and approved pointed out the importance of neighborhood plans, developed by residents of the neighborhoods and approved by appropriate Madison city agencies. They reported that the Westmorland neighborhood has started the process of developing such a neighborhood plan, which could be costly in time and money. D. Lamb asked the MHCA Board if it was interested in pursuing such a plan for the Midvale Heights neighborhood. Board members encourged D. Lamb to continue exploring the process of developing such a plan and to report back to the Board. She agreed to do so. Moved, seconded, and passed to approve expenses submitted by D. Lamb for the work of the Midvale Plaza Steering Committee.

7. Donation to library campaing: G. Poulson announced that he is co-chair of a committee charged with raising the funds necessary to equip the new Sequoya Branch Library building. Some $975,000 needs to be raised. The Friends of Sequoya Branch have raised almost $200,000, and another donor has indicated that another $200,000 will be forthcoming, but much more work needs to be done. G. Poulson moved that MHCA contribute at this time $5,000 from its “Library” fund ($173) and the general fund, and that another $5,000 be contributed later. The motion was seconded. In the discussion of this motion, some Board members expressed frustration and disappointment regarding the process by which the location and size of the new branch building had been decided. Poulson added to his motion, with the approval of the seconder, that the second $5,000 donation could be made to fund some specific item or part of the furnishing of the new branch. Motion passed with no negative votes.

8. Garage sale: J. Gary distributed a report on the September garage sale, showing that the sale brought in $261.76 over expenses. The Board thanked her for her coordination and hard work with a round of applause.

9. Annual meeting: D. Lamb announced that plans for the annual meeting were in place. C. Bunge volunteered to preside at the business meeting, which would consist of the election of Board members for the even-numbered areas. It was moved, seconded, and passed that D. Lamb and J. Gary be authorized to spend up to $125 for refreshments for the meeting.

10. Resignations from the Board: S. Sussman announced that he was moving out of the city and would no longer be able to be on the Board or to be Association president. The Board thanked him for his effective service with a round of applause. There were no volunteers for the position, for which the Board will need to hold an election at it’s November meeting. S. Sussman also announced that Cindi Henige had resigned from her Area 13 Board seat (and from the vice-presidency). As of the meeting, no one had been found to fill this vacancy. She will continue to coordinate and host the collation of the newsletter.

11. Gateway project: J. Sweet announced that the thistles were growing back in some areas of the Gateway. These areas will need treatment again in the spring.

12. Odana Pond: G. Poulson announced that the Odana Pond oversight committee had met. They looked at and approved plans from MG&E to enhance the habitat around the pond. There is an ongoing study of the water quality in the pond by a testing company, with results expected in October or November..

13. Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 8:20 p.m.