Loading...
 

MHCA Area Director's meeting minutes

September 2007 Area Director's Meeting minutes

Tom Jarvis Sunday 25 of May, 2008
Midvale Heights Community Association
Board of Directors Meeting
September 25, 2007

Minutes

Present: J. Sweet, M. Hoffman, M. Silbernagel, D. Lamb (presiding), R. and R. Meihsner, T. Jarvis, J. Sherwood, R. Rotter, C. Robida, J. Gary, K. Reuter-Krohn

Also attending: Chardel Johnston, Carousel Bayrd, John Eisenhauer

1. Minutes: Approval of the minutes for the June meeting was delayed until the October meeting.

2. Treasurer’s report: R. Rotter distributed a treasurer’s report.

3. City report: Thuy Pham-Remmele was unable to attend the meeting, and there was no city report.

4. County report: C. Bayrd made a brief report on matters before the County Board.

5. Membership directory: R. Rotter asked for help reviewing entries in the membership directory. C. Robida will do this. R. Rotter reported that the directory should be printed soon and should be mailed to the members in October.

6. Community garage sale: J. Gary presented a report showing a profit from the garage sale project of around $250. Friday was the heaviest day for sale attendance. Next year there should be more maps in strategic places. J. Gary agreed to coordinate the sale for one more year.

7. Neighborhood plan update: D. Lamb presented a report on progress on the neighborhood plan project:
  • The committee distributed surveys to everyone in the neighborhood, asking for residents’ and business owners’ opinions on a wide range of subjects. Some 250 surveys have been returned.
  • Mike Slaveny has gained access to software for recording data from the completed surveys at a cost of $300 (significantly below market value). Volunteers are currently entering data into the software. Once this is finished, the committee will be able to analyze the dats.
  • More volunteers are needed to input data, which can be done at home.
  • The committee is still working with the City to get a contract for the grant signed. A meeting was held with Jule Stroick, and things are moving along.
  • Attendance at the first listening session was sparse – about 25 people, including people from the Westmorland neighborhood. The presentation was good and should be useful background for the project.
  • Tom Jarvis has helped set up an electronic forum for the neighborhood plan. There is a button for it on the Association webpage.
  • So far, the committee has spent money on the survey, and insert for the newsletter, and the data input software. Estimated expenses so far are around $600.
  • Kudos and thanks to area directors, block captains, and special volunteers who helped distribute the survey.

8. Newsletter: D. Lamb announced that Ann Edahl had resigned as newsletter editor and that Paul Baker would assume temporary responsibility as newsletter editor. Many favorable comments were received regarding the last issue of the newsletter.

9. Annual Meeting: D. Lamb indicated that the Annual Meeting was scheduled for November 8 at Midvale Lutheran Church. Discussion of the meeting included suggested topics of history of the neighborhood, a presentation by the City planning department, and the neighborhood plan project. A special flier will be distributed at the end of October to make neighbors aware of the meeting and to invite their attendance. Treats for the meeting will be purchased at La Brioche. More finalized plans will be announced at the October Board meeting by D. Lamb, who is coordinating planning for the meeting.

10. Board election: Moved and seconded to elect John Eisenhauer Area Director for Area 2. Motion passed unanimously.

11. Neighborhood Roundtable: D. Lamb reminded Board members of the 2007 Neighborhood Roundtable, scheduled for Saturday, November 3 at CUNA Mutual Group. More information was available in the last issue of the newsletter.

12. Website: T. Jarvis indicated that he was moving the Association website to a new server. He planned to examine how to form a listserv to inform neighbors of upcoming meetings, events such as the Annual Meeting, etc. R. Rotter indicated that he could provide email addresses from membership forms.

13. Westwood Christian Church: Chardel Johnston informed the Board that the Westwood Christian Church wanted to be more involved in the neighborhood. The church has meeting space available, free of charge. C. Johnston will submit news items to the newsletter.

14. Neighborhood watch: C. Robida brought up the need for Midvale Heights to be proactive regarding public safety, following the listening session by city officials for District 20, centering around crime. M. Silbernagle indicated that she would talk to Greg Schuler about the neighborhood watch program. Board members indicated that this topic should be on the agenda for the October Board meeting.

15. Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 7:40 p.m.

Charles Bunge, Secretary (with thanks for excellent notes from Craig Robida)