Midvale Heights Community Association
Board of Directors Meeting
June 23, 2009
Present: J. Sweet, D. Lamb (presiding), P. Haskew, T. Jarvis, R. Rotter, F. Stautz, C. Robida,
J. Gary, MJ Armstrong, J. Lager, K. Reuter
Also present: Carousel Bayrd, Terri Goren, Nadie Pfotenhauer, Jean MacCubbin, Jane Roughen
1. Minutes: The minutes of the May 26, 2009 were approved as distributed.
2. Treasurer’s Report: R. Rotter distributed a report, showing a balance of $28,479.48. Thus far, $6,675.00 has been taken in with membership dues and we have 267 members.
3. Library Foundation Presentation: Members of the Madison Public Library Administration, Madison Public Library Foundation, Friends of Sequoya and Sequoya Capital Campaign Committee/Endowment presented to the board of directors. The individuals thanked MHCA for their past and ongoing support of Sequoya Library branch. According to their records, check-outs are up 7.6%, visits are up 16.2%, library registrations are up 113% and the meeting room space is 569% It was indicated they are raising $100,000 for their endowment, in which interest will pay for programming and resources. They requested a three-year pledge of $10,000 from MHCA.
4. County Board Report: C. Bayrd indicated that budget was the big discussion item and that they negotiated a 5% pay cut for all Dane County employees. She has heard several stellar comments about the new 911 Director.
5. Picnic/Garage Sale: J. Gary indicated the MHCA summer picnic would be held this coming Thursday, June 25 and that the same committee from last year was working on it again this year. She noted that she had received 10 garage sale registrations thus far.
6. Tocora Bike Path: D. Lamb noted that the City Council did pass this, and it is slated for the city’s fall schedule to be completed.
7. Green Team-Bison Prairie Project: J. Gary presented an update on the interpretive sign for the Bison Prairie Gateway. MJ Armstrong and C. Robida are going to become involved in finding a designer to work on this project and bring it to its completion. Planned dedication is for spring 2010.
8. Neighborhood Plan: The Neighborhood Plan is to be presented at the City Council’s July 7th meeting and then be referred to numerous city committees. D. Lamb expects the plan to be approved by the City Council in September.
9. Annual Meeting: Neighbor Mike Slavney will be the featured speaker, discussing the zoning code rewrite at the MHCA Annual Meeting, scheduled for the 5th Thursday in October, October 29. There was discussion about having the annual meeting at the Sequoya Library branch location.
10. Sequoya Commons Update: It has been heard that the developer cannot get funding for Phase II of the project. Westmorland is going to be contacting the developer about the current state of Phase II property.
11. Area 2 Director: D. Lamb indicated that Gary Poulson is possibly interested and she also heard a new neighbor to this location may also be interested. She will pursue.
12. Adjournment: Motion made, seconded and passed to adjourn the meeting at 8:30 pm.
Vice President (in place of Charles Bunge, Secretary)