Midvale Heights Community Association
Board of Directors Meeting
August 25, 2009
Present: J. Sweet, D. Lamb (presiding), C. Bunge, T. Jarvis, R. Rotter, J. Sherwood, F. Stautz, J. Gary, J. Lager
Also present: Gary Poulson
1. Minutes: The minutes of the June 23, 2009 meeting were approved as distributed.
2. Treasurer’s report: R. Rotter distributed a report showing total cash and bank accounts of $28,719.88, along with other information. He indicated that some money was still owed for expenses for the neighborhood plan project. Around 400 members had paid their dues. Income from the t-ball program was down this year. During discussion of the Treasurer’s report, R. Rotter reported that a staff member of the sign company had indicated that it would cost around $3,200 to replace the neighborhood sign at Segoe and Odana and that she doubted that there would be any City money to cover this cost. R. Rotter and D. Lamb said that they would gather further information about this matter.
3. Neighborhood plan update: D. Lamb reported that the neighborhood plan had been reviewed by a number of City committees. All had approved the plan, some with compliments on its quality. The plan would be before the City Council for approval on Tuesday, September 1. D. Lamb encouraged Board members to attend the City Council meeting and to register in support of approval of the plan
4. Garage sale update: J. Gary reported that 63 residents had registered to hold garage sales. The map for the sale had been completed and packets of information would soon be assembled.
5. Green Team: J. Sweet indicated that she would submit something to the newsletter about a fall garden tour. J. Gary reported that the Bison Prairie Gateway was coming along nicely. Board members asked about progress on the informational sign that was planned for the Gateway. R. Rotter reported that he had the stand that had been prepared for the sign. J. Gary indicated that, after the garage sale was over, she would work on bringing this project to completion.
6. SWANS report: D. Lamb reported that an organization calling itself South West Alliance of Neighborhoods, along with Dane County Council of Public Affairs, had developed a “Residents’ Bill of Rights” and “The Madison Community Code of Conduct and Behavior” to address problems in southwest Madison neighborhoods. The two groups were holding a public meeting on August 26 to discuss these documents and to get neighborhood groups to sign off on them. D. Lamb encouraged Board members to attend this meeting. She said that she would report back to the Board on this matter.
7. Library endowment request: D. Lamb reviewed the discussion of this matter from the last Board meeting, including the endowment committee’s request for $10,000 from MHCA over three years. Board members agreed that, in view of the fact that the Association’s two-year budget period was just starting, decisions on this matter should wait until the budget situation clarifies.
8. Annual meeting: D. Lamb indicated that she had been having trouble securing a meeting place for the MHCA annual meeting on October 29. She had reserved space at Queen of Peace Church and was going to look over available space at Westwood Christian Church. She asked if all Board members from odd-numbered areas were willing to run for re-election. None of the Board members present indicated unwillingness to run.
9. Area 2 Director: Gary Poulson was nominated to be Area 2 Director. He was elected with no dissenting votes. D. Lamb welcomed him to the Board.
10. Adjournment: Motion made, seconded, and passed to adjourn the meeting at 8:05.
Charles Bunge, Secretary