Midvale Heights Community Association
Board of Directors Meeting
October 27, 2009
Present: G. Poulson, J. Sweet, M. Silbernagel, D. Lamb (presiding), P. Haskew, C. Bunge, T. Jarvis, R. Rotter, J. Sherwood, F. Stautz, C. Robida, J. Gary, J. Lager, K. Reuter-Krohn
Also present: Nan Lager, Shelley Schmidt
1. Minutes: The minutes of the August, 25 and September 22 meetings were approved as distributed.
2. Treasurer’s report: R. Rotter distributed a report showing total cash and bank accounts of $26,848.46, along with other information. D. Lamb pointed out that some $4,000 was still owed to the Westmorland neighborhood association as a refund from the neighborhood plan project. Also, she reported that there would be some expenses for printing of the final version of the neighborhood plan. There was some discussion of the budget for the next two years, including discussion of the Sequoya Branch Library endowment committee’s request for a $10,000 contribution over three years. There was consensus that the Board should adopt a budget at its November meeting, including a decision on the Sequoya Branch endowment request.
3. Annual Meeting: D. Lamb announced that arrangements were in place for the MHCA Annual Meeting on October 29. All incumbent Directors for odd-numbered areas agreed to be nominated to serve in 2009-2011.D. Lamb introduced Shelley Schmidt, who had agreed to be nominated for Co-Director for Area 11.
4. Garage sale update: J. Gary distributed a report on the recent annual neighborhood garage sale. Board members agreed that the sale went very well and that this is a good service by the Association to the neighborhood. Registered sales were held by 65 residents. Income over expenses amounted to $76.91. J. Gary thanked the many people who helped with the sale, including Abby Hammes and Jenny Herritz, next year’s co-chairs.
5. Green Team: J. Sweet and Nan Lager reported that the cleanup day for the Tokay plantings went well, with around 15 people participating. The Lagers planted bulbs afterward. The garden open house at 4805 Tokay went well, too. J. Gary announced that there would be a cleanup day at the Bison Prairie Gateway on November 7.
6. Electronic communication: D. Lamb expressed interest in communicating with MHCA members and neighborhood residents electronically. Board members suggested various possibilities, including using the communication capabilities of the MHCA website. R. Rotter mentioned that many members had provided their email addresses on their membership forms. D. Lamb and T. Jarvis agreed to meet and to see what was possible using these email addresses and the capabilities of the website.
7. Membership directory: R. Rotter indicated that he was coming along on producing the directory. Board members suggested dropping the numerical street guide part of the directory to save the tedious work required to produce it and the expense to print it. Other Board members expressed the opinion that this was a valuable part of the directory. Nan Lager, Shelley Schmidt, and Board members volunteered to help produce the directory, with a target date of Thanksgiving for completion.
8. Meeting regarding Hilldale Target store: D. Lamb and F. Stautz reported on a meeting they had attended regarding a Target store at Hilldale mall. Board members asked questions and offered comments on the matter.
9. Newsletter: D. Lamb announced that the November-December issue of the MHCA newsletter was nearly ready for printing. A report on the Annual Meeting would be included.
10. Adjournment: Motion made, seconded, and passed to adjourn the meeting at 8:20.
Charles Bunge, Secretary