Midvale Heights Community Association
Board of Directors Meeting
November 22, 2011
Present: C. Kreimendahl, G. Poulson, J. Thoreson, P. Schell, D. Lamb (presiding), P. Haskew, C. Bunge, T. Jarvis, R. Rotter, J. Gary, J. Lager, K. Reuter-Krohn
Also present: Nan Lager
1. Call to order and introductions: D. Lamb opened the meeting, and those present introduced themselves.
2. Minutes: The minutes of the Board meeting of September 27 and of the Annual Meeting were approved as distributed.
3. Treasurerâ€™s report: There was no formal treasurerâ€™s report. D. Lamb reported that the Association had received the final $2,000 from the City for the neighborhood plan project. Because the Westmorland neighborhood association had contributed more to the project than MHCA, some $3,000 would need to be paid to Westmorland to close the books on the project.
4. County Supervisor report: Carousel Bayrd was unable to attend the meeting, and there was no county report.
5. Alder Report: Matt Phair was unable to attend the meeting, and there was no alder report..
6. Recognition award for Jean Sweet: D. Lamb indicated that it was possible to get a Madison Common Council Civic Recognition Award for people who have given outstanding service to the community. She recommended that MHCA seek such an award for Jean Sweet, in recognition of all the many ways she has served the neighborhood. After some discussion, D. Lamb agreed to pull together some wording, to send it out to the Board for comment, and otherwise to pursue the matter. Board members suggested that planting a tree on the Tokay median would be appropriate, as well, and the Board agreed with this idea.
7. Organizational matters: D. Lamb asked the Board to consider whether or not some changes in the procedures for electing officers of the Association were needed, especially whether or not the Vice-President should automatically become President at the annual election of officers. Board members expressed the opinion that past practices and procedures had worked adequately and that no changes were needed. There was also some discussion of the desirability of having more standing committees, such as a social events committee, a finance committee, and a committee to foster implementation of the recommendations in the neighborhood plan. There was broad agreement that such committees would be desirable, but no specific action was taken.
8. Green Team: Arising out of the discussion of having a social committee and more social events, J. Gary suggested that there be a social event celebrating the upcoming tenth anniversary of the development of the Bison Prairie Gateway. The Board agreed that this was a very good idea.
9. Ballot Box tool: D. Lamb indicated that this online survey service might be a way for MHCA to gather information on opinions and ideas of members. After discussion there was consensus that this was probably not a useful tool for MHCA.
10. Election of officers: D. Lamb indicated that she did not wish to be nominated for President for 2012. She reminded the Board that the office of Vice-President was vacant. Charles Bunge and Ron Rotter indicated that they were willing to be nominated for Secretary and Treasurer. Chuck Kreimendahl was nominated for Vice-President, and he agreed to run. On the promise by D. Lamb that she would serve as informal â€œco-president,â€ Jim Thoreson accepted nomination for President. It was moved and seconded that this slate be elected as officers for 2012. The motion passed with no dissenting votes.
11. Adjournment: Motion was made, seconded and passed to adjourn.
Charles Bunge, Secretary